Thursday, August 5, 2010

Half-way there!...

Hall & Co. would like to make the official announcement that I am, as of today, officially half-way done with nursing school!  Yes!  I had my last final today and the relief is still setting in.  There were a few genuine moments of horror this semester, believing I might not pass.  Nightmares that I would have to wave to my friends as they moved on and I sat in the dust waiting for a new group to let me join.  This ended up being far from reality, thank goodness.  I didn't just pass, I nailed OB and I squeaked through Med/Surg with an A- because of a very nice, understanding teacher who believes in rounding.  I believe in rounding too!  It was the closest I have been to a B+ in a long time.  Nursing school is by far, one of the top two hardest things I have ever done.  Can you guess what the other one is?

Speaking of, we had our injection class today!  It's an appointment where the nurse teaches you how to draw up and inject the medication.  Not so much new information for me but I think it was good for Michael to get some more information about the process.  I feel bad because I think Michael feels kind of left out the process.  There is going to be so much going on with me in the next few weeks and I think he wishes there were more that he gets to do.  All I need him to do is be supportive (in which he is already an expert) and forgive me for any hormonal outbursts I might have as a result of my ovaries growing to the size of grapefruits.  I got my two week Lupron kit in the mail yesterday and I start that on Sunday.  There were A LOT of needles!  But, I have been told they are nothing compared to the amount of needles that comes with the next set of meds in a couple of weeks.  I was happy to learn that our insurance covered most of it. It was only $100 but every bit counts, right?  I did learn some new stuff today.  It had slipped my mind that I would be on two different stimulation meds instead of one, which means that for a couple of weeks I will be giving myself  THREE shots a day and not two like I had thought.  Yikes!  I have heard horror stories about weight gain, hormone induced raunchiness, and general loathing of the significant others (poor guys) but I don't care.  I hope for Michael's sake it's not THAT bad and I will try to keep my emotions in check but I'm just too excited to let anything make me feel uneasy about the process.

So, the next step is start Lupron injections on Sunday the 8th and then I will have an ultrasound on the 18th where they will decide how much stimulation medication to give me.  One day at a time I guess!

3 comments:

  1. They tell you that you'll only have to do injections for 7-10 days, but I had to do them for 18 days with ultrasounds and blood tests every other day. NONE of it was covered under insurance. I took Follistim, and that stuff burned like crazy. The needle wasn't the problem and I found that it's much easier to give yourself a shot than someone else doing it for you. My meds came with a video about how to inject yourself.

    I wasn't hormonal while I was doing the shots, but my ovaries did get overstimulated and it was painful to move around for about 2 weeks after I had my IUI. I'm just glad I didn't land in the hospital like some women because I would have had to pay for that, too.

    Good luck with everything. It definitely is quite the experience.

    (P.S. Can I say I'm a little jealous of your crazy adventures in nursing? I was a nursing major at one point, but now I think I'm too big of a wuss to be a nurse. I love living vicariously through you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't do the shot the first time. I had to have Brent stab me! I totally chickened out! I was glad I only had to do one shot to induce ovulation and not three shots a day!!! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three shots a day. Wow!! You're a brave girl. I'm glad you have somewhere there to help you.

    And congrats on kicking so much ass with school! :)

    ReplyDelete