Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 1: Stims



We are to 3 shots a day now!  Woohoo!  I am actually excited!  I woke-up and Michael was still here so he got do my shots with me.  He even mixed one of the meds because I was having trouble drawing it up.  I was using the wrong needle!  There are over 80 needles so it's all little confusing still.  I saved the Repronex shot for last because everyone says it awful but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  It did sting when it went in and ached for a while after.  Not too bad...yet.  Michael reminded me it was only the first one and to give it time...thanks, baby.


Side Effects.


Oh, man.  I want to preface by saying that this all totally worth it and I'm loving the drama of it all...really.  I wasn't expecting any side effects from the Lupron and truthfully, if I wasn't paying attention, I would probably not even noticed them or chalk them up to something else.  The biggest one, I'm not sleeping!  I have NEVER in my life had trouble sleeping.  Anyone that knows me real well knows I can sleep anywhere, anytime and it takes a lot to rouse me.  I have not had trouble falling asleep but I wake-up on average 10 times a night.  I took an anti-nausea pill the other night that is supposed to knock you out...I only woke-up twice (and I slept in until 9:30a).  I woke-up a few mornings ago with more than a few lovely red spots all over my face...another glamorous side effect.

The hot flashes, oh my!  I will be fine one minute and next I can feel sweat streaming from every pore in my armpits...I know, gross.  Michael thinks I'm being dramatic (how do you stick out your tongue on a blog?).  It really is all not that bad.  The sleeping thing is bothering my though.  People tell me it's just preparing me for motherhood.  No, thanks!  I am fully aware that my nights of good sleep are numbered and I am supposed be enjoying every good night sleep I can have.  I'm going to call and ask about a sleep aid.  I'm generally against it but I have GOT to do something.  Last night I woke-up 7 times.  Ughh!

And all of this was just with the Lupron!  I am expecting some side effects with the stims (stimulation medications), but I was surprised by the Lupron.  On stims, the ovaries literally grow to the size of grapefruits so you can imagine how uncomfortable one can get.  One being me.  It's been a couple of hours since the shots and I don't know if it's in my head but I think I can actually feel my ovaries now.  I asked my friend, Karen about it and she said she could feel hers all the time, so maybe it's not in my head.  Starting today, I am not allowed caffeine (sniff,sniff), only mild exercise (no twisting, no heavy lifting, no crunches, heart rate not to go above 140bpm, nothing that targets the belly area), basically nothing you would do if you were already pregnant.  I have my first ultrasound on Saturday to see how the follicles are developing.  I'm just crossing my fingers that things go well and that I don't under or overstimulate.  Michael's little problem is taken care of the day of retrieval so everything is kind of up to me now.  No, I don't have any prior known issues but the doctors have no idea how I will respond to the medication.  It's a very delicate process.  Literally, we are putting all my eggs in one basket!

A visual of how big the ovaries can get.  No wonder I can already feel them!

Big Box o' Meds
That is 101 needles, people (I won't have to use them all, though). 18 down!




                                                    
                            




3 comments:

  1. It's definitely not in your head. You are for sure feeling those suckers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one who is having issues sleeping on the lupron. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was taking meds for a while that caused horrible sleep issues. They would knock me out, and I'd fall asleep soon after taking them (once in the morning and once at night), and then I'd wake up a few hours later. One night I fell asleep at 9:30 and woke up and 12:30am, and could not fall back asleep. It sucks! Now I'm just to the point where, like you, I wake up often. I hope it settles down for you. Your body needs all the sleep it can get!!

    ReplyDelete