Thursday, February 25, 2010

This is why I started this blog...


I read the following statement on a blog today:

"I still don't think that is has completely set in and become real (speaking of pregnancy), but with each time I throw up, it's becoming more real :) Let's just say I now know why people adopt!"

Sigh, I know morning sickness sucks. I haven't been there but I can't imagine anything more gross than your face in toilet all morning. I do know what it is like to be nauseous all the time and it bites. I know that pregnancy is hard, I know you reach a point where you are never comfortable and you wish your baby would stop using your bladder, pelvis, spine, etc. as a trampoline. Yet I, along with a million other women would give anything right now to be slumped over that porcelain bowl, losing my lunch. I yearn for it.

Over the last year and half I have learned not to be so sensitive to comments like this and I hope this post doesn't seem overly dramatic. I'm certain she meant no malice or even thought she needed to be aware of what she was saying. She meant it to be a little tongue-in-cheek and it was on a blog and they are meant to be a place where you can speak freely. As I would wish people to be a little more sensitive, I have learned not to be overly sensitive, but this one just stung a little as all comments of this nature still tend to do.  It really is all about perspective.

I'm not saying pregnant women aren't free to complain, I just want her and everyone to know...no, that is not why people adopt. Not even close. (And yes, I know she probably knows that is not why people adopt but still...)

Which leads me to my next post...

3 comments:

  1. Ah, that would be so hard. I have no experience with infertility (if that is the case, as I'm assuming) but my sister tried for 18 months to get pregnant and finally did. I actually just found this blog so I'll add it to my reader! So glad to reconnect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all yearn for something. It's always what we don't have and others seem to take it for granted. We all need to be more grateful for what we do have and just continue to be hopeful for what we don't... You'll get your baby soon girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really have to guess that is not truly what she meant by that. I'm glad you have a healthy dose of perspective to realize that everyone's reality is just that, their reality, and for her - morning sickness is something to complain about. We all take things for granted, we all forget that other people have things worse off than we do, and what we choose to complain about someone else would give anything for. It is the human condition, I'm afraid. I'm glad you've learned to take things in stride, even if a silly comment about adoption is out of line. You'll do nothing but good things for yourself with that frame of mind. <3

    ReplyDelete