Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Story of Us...

Since it was just Valentine's Day, I want to tell you how my sweetheart and I, met. I'm stealing this idea from my friend, Rosalie because I thought it was so cute. I hope she doesn't mind.

It was January 2006...no, no it was actually before that. December 1999, West Jordan, UT. I was living in Provo, UT and going to school at UVSC. I was about to leave for Christmas break and was waiting for my sister to come pick me up to go to the airport. Where was I? I was at his parents house. For those that don't know, Michael's brother, Braxton, is married to my cousin, Britny. We lived together that year and Britny, Braxton and I were three peas-in-a-pod. I suppose I stayed at his parents house that night for some reason. Michael had just gotten home from his mission that week and I suppose I had met him before this day but I can't remember. So that morning, my sister picked me up and Michael came stumbling out his room and Whitney said "Hi! How's it going?". I told Whitney that he was not Braxton, who I knew she was mistaking him for. That was first memory I have of him. I didn't really take any notice of him because he was already dating someone at the time. I left Utah that April and did not return until 2005.

So, January 2006 rolls around, Britny and Braxton have been married for five years and they have a son who was having a birthday party. They invited me to Michael's parents house for the party but for some reason, I couldn't go. The next day was a Sunday so I went to church and then went over to the Hall's to give Carter a birthday present. I was in the living room talking to Britny and who comes stumbling out of his room again? Yes, Michael. Exactly the same way he did six years before that. He did not live there but for some reason slept there that night. He said hello and Britny urged me to stay for a while.

Since I was in my church clothes, I decided to go change. Britny walked me outside and Michael poked his head out of the door and said "My dad wants to know if you are staying for dinner?" I told him no because I had plans to take my friend, Joyce out...it was her birthday. But, I assured him I would be returning later. Britny gave me a look of intrigue and I blushed and left. I returned shortly and we played a few games and there was definitely a moment where I looked at Michael and he looked at me and I thought, "Whoa! He is really different". Different in a good way...a man, not a boy. I was about to leave to go to dinner and as I was saying my goodbyes, Michael put his hand on the small of my back and led me out the door. He walked me to my car and I can't remember the few things we said, but I remember the butterflies. I told him that I was going to come back after dinner to play more games (yeah, you're right...I just wanted to see him). I called my mom and told her I was in trouble! We hadn't said more than five words directly to each other but I knew he was special.

I had a great time at dinner but I could not wait to get back to the Hall's house. I came back around 7pm. By the way, it was my birthday in a couple days and I was supposed to go a joint "not-so-surprise" party with my friend, Joyce. I told Joyce that since I wasn't supposed to know about it, that I was going to skip it (sorry, Denise...thanks for planning it). We played some more games and I flirted. We decided to watch a movie. I chose "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", which he claimed he had never seen it before. Yeah, he had. We held hands during the movie and there were more butterflies. I love the first hand hold, it's divine. Then, he kissed me! We were pretty much inseparable from then on. I talked to my mom two weeks later and told her I was DONE dating and that this was the man I was going to marry.

We were engaged three months later (I know, embarrassing. But, we technically knew each other for six years...that counts, right?) and married eight months after that. It really does amaze me how much I love him more and more each day. He makes me laugh everyday and I just can't get enough of him!


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Denise forgives you since you were going back to your future husband and all. :)

    I think that is a lovely story. It's nice when you just KNOW. :)

    ReplyDelete