Tuesday, February 16, 2010

We're good...

I want to start out by saying Michael and I are in a really good place right now. I don't want people to think we are sitting on the couch everyday and eating a pint of ice cream (mmm...I would love that!). I just really want to preserve this past 18 months so we never forget where we were (like we could). We are incredibly optimistic about the process we are about to go through. Maybe too optimistic. There is a fair chance that IVF won't work, it's obviously not a guarantee. Still, our odds are great.

The University of Utah Department of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility has a success rate that is ranked among the highest in the world! Success rates are very dependent upon your particular diagnosis and your age.

We met with Dr. Hammoud in September of last year. This was shortly after the visit to the urologist and we had accepted that IVF may be in our future. We were led back to a little room and my vitals were taken (which I kind of thought was weird since we were only there to discuss our options) and then we waited for Dr. Hamood to come in. After two minutes of conversing with him, I felt confident we were in good hands. He asked me about my cycles and took a look at Michael's chart and reiterated what the urologist had said. He didn't think IUI was going to be a good option for us. Boo. He was very honest and told us we could probably do it 20 times and it wouldn't work. I laugh now because I was trying to convince the doctor that IUI could work...

Me: "But it could work, right?"
Dr: "Uhhh...I suppose, stranger things have happened."
Me: "So, we can try it? I mean, it only takes one good one."
Dr. "Uh, yeah you could try a few cycles."
Me: "So it will work!?"
Dr: "Well...miracles happen." He left the room.

Yes! He said it could work! Right? I turned to Michael, beaming. Michael simply said, "no". He told me that the doctor was trying to tell me that this would not work and that I made him say we should give it a shot because we were due a miracle. I laughed. The doctor came back in and I asked what he really thought about us giving IUI a shot. He said, "In my professional opinion, I don't think this will ever work for you and I know that IUI is a small fraction of the cost of IVF but I would rather see you put that money towards saving for IVF." Okay, we'll skip IUI. I was pushing for it because it really is only a fraction of the costs. We could try IUI five times and spend what it will costs me for my meds. But, having heard Dr. Hamood say he didn't want us to do any unnecessary procedures instilled my confidence in him.

We love Dr. Hammoud. He does not know us very well yet but he will!

See full size image

1 comment:

  1. I know what it is like to want to hear a particular answer so badly that you ask just the right questions in just the right way that you can interpret the answers in just the way you want. I'm glad you were able to hear the truth, though. That it would be a waste for you, and I think - at the end of the day - more of an emotional waste even than a financial one.

    ReplyDelete