Saturday, February 20, 2010

It's all about the money...

Michael and I, we love dates. We have been trying to limit our dates or at least limit the money we spend on dates as we are trying to save as much money as we can to cover our IVF expenses. After all, it's all about the money. We probably would have already done the IVF if we had $12,000 burning a hole in our pocket. Alas, we do not. Tonight, however, we pulled out all the stops with our favorite Chinese food digs, Sampan and a movie. Chinese food, $12...movie, $0 (passes)...date with Michael, priceless.

It literally was priceless because in two days, Michael will start his second job. Ever since finding out we need IVF to have a baby, we have been praying for an opportunity to earn more money. My pessimism led me to believe it would be impossible to find a second job that Michael could realistically work since he already works 40 hours a week. A couple of months ago I was at school and saw a booth advertising jobs with the 2010 U.S. Census. I talked to the girl and she described a job that sounded too good to be true. It wasn't. It's the exact thing we have been praying for. It pays really well, it fits into his schedule, and it's temporary. Not that it won't be a huge sacrifice for us, especially for him. He will work his normal eight hours a day then, five days a week, work four more hours until the wee hours of the morning. He will go for seven months without a decent nights sleep and we will see each other even less than we do now. I also have pounds of guilt weighing down on me since I am only part-time at the hospital. The obvious solution to our problem was for me to pick-up more shifts but I literally just don't have the time. I'm in school and clinical all day on the days I don't work.

I know this is going to be so hard on Michael but he is thrilled to do it. I think he sees this as some sort of redemption because he feels like it is still his fault. We just need to get through the next several months and we will be well on our way to starting this process. I am so grateful for this opportunity and so grateful for a husband who is so willing to take care of his future family. I know Heavenly Father hears our prayers and knows our hearts.

4 comments:

  1. We went from eating out every Friday night at a sit-down place to "How about a walk around campus?" (BYU) to save money. We never did quite recover. We went from saving for infertility treatments, to saving money to pay for our own health insurance, to baby expenses, to "it's too much money to pay for a babysitter".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! The census jobs are almost too good to be true! And the Lord does hear and answer prayers! Yay for a good paying part time temp job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Terina. Mere-That is something I have been thinking about a lot. We are going to get done paying for this thing and then we will have baby to pay for! It's worth it...right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is really wonderful! I feel like that. My job is really wonderfully flexible in a million ways, but I need to be available basically all the time. Kind of puts a hold on earning extra money with a second job. I think I just found one today, though.. where I'll be knitting to make some extra money. I know, right? Crazy!

    It's amazing that you found this opportunity, though. And Michael... serious respect for going the extra mile for your family! <3

    ReplyDelete