Saturday, September 4, 2010

Retrieval...

Woke-up very early this morning and got ready to head to the clinic. We arrived 10 mins early which I was happy about because we are not exactly always on time for things.  Michael started to feel sick because he took his antibiotic on an empty stomach (silly boy) and they were very nice and made him oatmeal. They took me back to change and start my IV.

Michael was not allowed to come in with me which surprised me because we were told by my friend her hubby was there the whole time.  He was able to be with me when I woke-up though. They had to give me more medicine at first because I could feel everything.  I knew they would because every time I have that kind of anesthesia, it's never enough.  It really hurt.

Now, about my follies. I started to cry when I woke-up because the first thing I asked Michael was how many eggs were retrieved. He told me 9. NINE? I thought he was joking. I had 22 follicles! I had to ask him several times if he was not joking. The nurse came back in because my blood pressure was up due to being so upset. She told me I should not be upset because their average number of eggs retrieved is 6. The RE was not going to come back in but the nurse said she's have her come talk to me since I was so upset. I just had no idea what could have happened when I had 22 good sized follies?  I certainly wasn't prepared for the possibility of having no eggs in the follicles.

The RE came in a was little surprised I was upset because she was very pleased with the results.  I asked what happened to all the other eggs when I had so many follies. She said that a lot of the time the bigger ones will start to deteriorate when the smaller ones catch-up.  I implied that maybe it was mistake to go the extra day and she said that if we retrieved the day before I probably would have more eggs but they would not have been mature.  Quality over quantity in this case.  I gave her examples of my two friends who had over 20 eggs retrieved and one ended up with two great embies to transfer and 16 frozen embies and the other ended with nothing to freeze and two, not so great embies to transfer. Both got pregnant but both very different. She said I was probably somewhere in the middle of them and reassured me that my chances of getting pregnant are still the same today as they were this morning, yesterday, and the day before. She guessed that with my E2 level, there was a good chance that they would all be mature and still had a good chance there would be a few to freeze...just a guess though.

I still have no idea what happened even after she explained everything to me. I had NO idea that having no eggs in the follies was possible. I expected to have the 22 eggs and be told on Monday that only a percentage were mature and a percentage of those fertilized normally. I just feel blindsided and I'm kind of sad.  I won't know anything about anything until Monday and the worst part of this whole process begins....waiting.


58 needles...stared Progesterone today.  


This is what's going on right now with our eggs.  That needle is the 1/10 the size of a human hair.

2 comments:

  1. what an emotional rollercoaster...

    also, my word verification comment thingy is "preterm." that word veri thing is a butt head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you felt so blind sided by your retrieval, sweetie. I'm very glad to hear that you are somewhat ahead of the curve, though, even if you don't feel like it. Remember, average is what you want. Normal. Slightly above average is a great place to be! :)

    ReplyDelete