Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Baby Hall Round #2


Here we go again! What a shock! About 14 weeks ago we completed a fresh cycle of IVF. We started in June but postponed the cycle for few reasons for a month so we started in July. Sam wasn't even one yet but we figured it could take a while for this be successful and we wanted them to be closer together since they might only have eachother.

Fast forward 6 weeks and a slightly bumpy cycle and I took a pregnancy test. What a beautiful sight! I really didn't think it worked because I felt NOTHING! I suspected with Sam and even my miscarriage that I was pregnant because I was soooo tired and starving all.the.time and my boobs were sore. I felt nothing although I was completely exhausted all the time anyway with working nights and chasing a busy toddler around. I was truly shocked! I had my blood test 5 days later and the my number 159. I was not satisfied with this of course because I got a postive test so early, I thought it should be higher. It was lower that Sam's was too. I had another blood draw a week later and I was hoping for a very high number since Sam's was quite high. It was 1690 and they wanted it over 1500. I was bummed. I was pregnant but it's hard not to compare (Sam's was in the 6000s). We were secretly hoping for twins but would be relieved if we only had one. After all, Sam would only be about 19-20months. I was sure it was a singleton based on the numbers since typically twin pregnancies have higher HcG levels. Boy was I wrong! I had a few moments where I thought I might be having twins but I brushed them off becaue they were just "feelings". 

My first ultrasound was scheduled for 7 weeks but at 6 weeks I was having disturbing lower back pain. I was upset because I was sure it wasn't a good sign. So, I went to see the doctor to be evaluated. After describing the pain I was assured it musculoskeletal pain from the softening of the ligaments and loosening of the joints caused by the extra progesterone I was on but she did an ultrasound anyway. I was surprised but not surprised when two little sacks popped up on the screen. Michael was not with me at the moment but was at the office. I called him to come in and he immediately knew why. We were happy but it was still so early that we knew anything could happen.

We went for the ultrasound at 7 weeks and we were relieved to see two little, strong heartbeats! Baby As heartbeat was lower than I would have liked but the said everything was fine (although in ultrasound report it said decreased fetal cardiac activity). We still didn't want to allow ourselves to get too excited but couldn't help telling our families. We went back at 9 weeks and if things were good, I would allow myself to get excited. They had very strong heartbeats (no decreased FCA) and we "graduated" for the fertiltiy clinic. It was bittersweet because I don't know if we will do this again so we may not see them again.

We know it will be hard but we feel so blessed to become a family of 5! Whoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment